Theplas are an integral part of the Gujarati cuisine. It is quiet a simple preparation using whole wheat flour combined with a few masalas and made like parathas over a hot tava. When we want to make this for our over-active and naughty growing babies we would prefer to add a few nutritious ingredients that will make this a wholesome and power packed nutrient meal for them. One rolled up thepla is good enough for the child to hold and eat while running around. So here is an innovative recipe of combining this delicious Gujrati dish with sprouted legumes and the goodness of green vegetables like chopped methi and palak in it. You can also read 10 reasons on why eating sprouts is so beneficial here..
So lets get started..
Preparation Time: 10 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 Mins
4 cups - Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups - Steamed Mix Sprouted Chickpeas(chana)
1/2 cup - Finely Chopped Fenugreek Leaves (Methi)
1/2 cup - Finely Chopped Spinach leaves (Palak)
A pinch - Rock Salt
1/2 to 1 Tsp - Chilli Powder
1/2 to 1 Tsp - Tumeric Powder
1/2 Tsp - Jeera Powder (Dhanajeera)
1/2 Tsp - Dhaniya or Corainder Seed Powder
2 Tsp - Oil
1/2 Pinch - Hing
- Put 2 cups of steamed sprouted chickpeas (brown chana) with very little water in a mixer and grind it into a fine paste.
- Add this paste in the whole wheat flour and mix with all the other ingredients, knead into a soft dough
- (Note: Steamed Sprouts paste is already moist, avoid using water while kneading, the dough should not be too sticky)
- Divide the dough into equal portions and roll out each portion into a circle
- Use some whole wheat flour while rolling to prevent sticking to rolling pin/board.
- Heat a non sticktawa (griddle) and cook each thepla on medium flame, using about 1 tsp ghee till golden spots appear on both sides.
- Once done spread them separately in a large plate till it becomes lukewarm.
- Serve with cows curd to maximize its benefits.
A great lunchbox recipe for toddlers. They will never feel tired after eating such a wholesome yummy meal :-)
Try and let us know how your little ones liked it.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.